Thursday, February 23, 2006

How do you get your mind off a headache? Smash a toe with a hammer.

When other moms know that I have 2 boys, they always ask “y la niña, para cuando?”

Even though this question is grammatically incorrect (it has no verb, no specified action), it can be understood under the context of the conversation. I usually say “Nah, the factory is closed” and they usually leave it at that.
But last Wednesday that lady had to press on; “closed? But you are so young, and the boys so little, little girls are so nice, etc”.


OK, if I already said that it’s closed, what is the point of saying all that extra stuff? Somehow, I feel the need to explain (or apologize?) to the woman: “well, it’s because I had some problems when Isaac was born, so I had to have an hysterectomy”.

Satisfied now? I don’t like to bring this stuff up, it saddens me. My defense mechanism: to write in english.

I don’t mind reminding myself of that when I hear somebody complaining from cramps; I don’t miss Tampax at all. Something good had to come out of this, did it not?

Usually, here is when they shut up.

But not last Wednesday; another lady asked me if it had been a cesarean, I said yes, and she told me that she had some problems also when her daughter was born: the anesthesia did not work.

Damn. Do I have to say it too? Again? I did, and then … Thank God it was time to pick up the kids.

What to do? I went and rented a movie to clear my mind: I rented “saw”…

it did the trick, for 2 days, at least…

13 comments:

Masgorelli said...

you can to rent other movie "The silence of the lambs"

Mufaker said...

Yeah, writing in english is my defence mechanism aswell. I bet you can tell by now.

Denise said...

I'm pretty sure you know some nice expressions for those cases... if not, let me help you: GO TO HELL!

Realmente nunca he entendido porqué la gente traspasa con tanta facilidad el límite de lo que es su problema.

And Claude, don´t let a stupid remark sadden you, you've got 2 amazing, funny, sweet and smart kids!

Jorge said...

La gente metiche es el pan nuestro de cada día porque nosotros solo tenemos una.

No se porque la gente siente la imperiosa necesidad de seguir preguntando aun cuando les contestas con un tono de voz que debería ser interpretado como DEJA DE PREGUNTAR.

En fin, gente.

besos y feliz fin Claude :)

Samantha said...

Hola gracias por tu visita a mi blog 8D

Mi ingles es muy pobre, asi que no entiendo tu post, pero ha de ser algo interesante 8D Jajaja

Marcela said...

People that don't know or care about you can make the most incredibly stupid comments...

you said, "I feel the need to explain (or apologize?) to the woman" I so understand you, cause I too feel compelled to "explain" when we get comments on Morgan being blonde.

but you know what, don't explain or apologize... next time just come back with something that will shut them up... mine? "Yes, she's mine, see I was a surrogate and at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to keep the baby for myself" that gets the biggest eyes and they ask no more...

I'm sure you can come up with something that will shut them up...

By all means, your family is perfect the way it is... you are blessed.

Tu Bro que tiene una famila SUPER... said...

Indeed Marcela... Hey sis, Estamos muy orgullosos de tí. Nunca lo dudes...

Un beso para tí, a mis sobrinos, y porque no, también para mi cuñado. jejejeje

εїз maripOsa*sOcial εїз said...

Well being a self proclaimed "metiche" I'm never as bad as the people you are talking about... never.
I know when to stop.
Anyway, I totally agree with Marcela, you have a wonderful little-girl-less family...
SALUDITOS!

tiny*glowing*fairy said...

Mi comment no sera en ingles por q me quiebro un poco la cabeza jejeje.. (need 2 practice)

Mira pequeña saltamontes, gente asi asquerosamente metiche habra siempre.. sabras las veces que me han preguntado para cuando el niño?? o para cuando el segundo???? que chingados les importa pues? es mi vientre, es mi vida, es MI desicion, y por que no, de los dos, mia y del Ivan, es una cosa personal que a la gente le FASCINA tocar simplemente por que no tienen otra cosa interesante que decir o preguntar.. I hate that..
Pero..
yo he visto las fotos.. tienes una hermosa familia, no te hace falta niña.. ahi ta la mia, te hago suegra y por que no, mama de vez en cuando? :P

tiny*glowing*fairy said...

SAW??? wow, buena manera de desquitar esa furia interna mediante imagenes sadicas jeje..

I envy you because u dont have cramps

Claude Sandbed said...

thanks to all...

see ya!!

Claude Sandbed said...

masgo: yep, but I already saw it...

mufaker: indeed, my friend, indeed...

Denise: thanks, my editor-in-chief!

jorge: besos, y feliz fin 2 u 2!!

samantha: no es tan interesante, no te mortifiques...

marcela: thanks, I feel that way...

mi bro: Gaby te manda muchos besos, tambien!!

Butterfly: girl-less family!! jeje... it just rolls off the tongue, eh? But it is not girl-less, there's me, remember??

fairy: master, eso era todo!! consuegras, por fin... mi plan funcionó... and yes, I don't have cramps...


:)


10-4

εїз maripOsa*sOcial εїз said...

excuse me... dije "little-girl-less" especifique... usted no entra en esa catego... porque usted es un mujeron... de a buenas.