Thursday, August 24, 2006

To play: not always fun.

The difference between wanting to and having to.

When I was 5, I wanted to play with my bro (he was 6). We played with blocks, legos, cars, marbles, planes, trains (yes, that explains my lack of femininity… my facial hair? Well, that’s genetic, I guess)
I had dolls, but they were usually the robbers in our “police and robbers” show… they always ended up chased, beaten and jailed. Wow.
I never felt that I HAD to play with my bro. He got angry at me sometimes for not wanting to play anymore, but that was that.

Then, I was 10, and my little sis was 3. Again, I played with her with blocks, dolls, cars, weebles, crayons, legos. I did that willingly. But I HAD to play Barbies with her.
I don’t like Barbies. Never have. Never will.
But I could not say “no” to that sweet little face and that innocent voice that was constantly asking for somebody to play with her. So, we played Barbies: dressed them, took them apart, rearranged them, accessorized them.
Aagg. I was bored, but she was happy. Unknowingly, she was helping me for things to come.

Time flies.

Then, I was 30. Aaron was born; 2 years later, Isaac.
Once again, I find myself playing with blocks, cars, marbles (well, not yet), planes, lightsabers, spaceships, legos, etc.
Do I want to play Obi-wan all day? Nope, but i try.
Do I want to play Go-fish or old-maid all day? Nope, but I try.
Do I want to build Legos all day? That, I don’t mind at all. Having gone to Legoland on July got us all hooked.
I don’t HAVE to play barbies. My boys don’t like them either. In the supermarket, when we see a pink aisle (a.k.a. the Barbie aisle) we just skip it. Bliss.

But still, while playing with a kid, you always have to keep your eyes on the prize: the point is to make him/her happy (and maybe teach him/her something along the way). It might feel boring or overwhelming to you sometimes, but it’s actually a rewarding compromise that pays off along the way.
Good times. There’s no price for that.

12 comments:

Miryam said...

Que bueno que lo veas asi y que logres tener la paciencia que se necesita para jugar con tus pequeños, desafortunadamente por mi parte nunca soporte jugar con mis hermanos por mucho tiempo, siendo yo la unica mujer siempre quise una hermanita, además siempre he sentido que no podría tener hijos, no tengo nada de paciencia.

Teresa la que Canta said...

Hey! me regresioné bien suave!!! tengo dos hermanos hombres (0 hermanas), así que cuando quería jugar a las barbies, mi hermano menor tenía que entrar al quite, de igual manera yo tenía mis carritos y leggos y jugábamos juntos a todo, solo que eso solía desatar fuertes discusiones, ya que mis carritos hablaban y se relacionaban entre si (también caminaban de brinquitos) y mi hermano siempre terminaba desnudando y despeinando a mis barbies, que se tiraban de altura, se colgaban y volaban para estrellarse en algún lugar...
fue divertido,

T.

Your Bro said...

Pa que veas sis, te preparé para mis sobrinos... jejejejeje

Good times, though

elumawgy

Marcela said...

Did not have sisters... have two brothers, so also played with matchbox and legos with my brother (1 1/2year older), and whenever I wanted to play dolls I'd do it alone or have a friend over... with my little brother (7 years younger) I played playmobil and ninja turtles, but not for long...
I always had friends over or went to my friends' houses to play dolls with ...

Having brothers did not prepare me for my girly girl... but I'd say my friends did...

hopefully with the new boy coming to the family what I learned with my brothers will come in handy...

Claude Sandbed said...

miryam: yo tampoco tengo paciencia, pero para nada! pero de algun lado sale, cuando tiene que salir...por supuesto, de vez en cuando los mando a freír esparragos (o sea, con su papá)...

teresa: si, estuvo curada la regresión... creo que estaba inspirada...

mi bro: pos si... thanks...

Marcela: oh, so you know for sure the baby is a boy? did not know that. Congrats. And be sure: it will come in handy.

Marcela said...

Yep, it's a boy... the technician is 98% sure, he said he's leaving the 2% just in case... but even I could see very clearly that it's a boy, and you know the sonogram images do look fussy... but for sure that was not an arm or just a leg... I have a penis inside of me!!! ja ja ja

justo said...

Con Daniel me he dado cuenta de la importancia de los juegos (y de los juguetes)...Podemos ver claramente cuando se aburre; inmediatamente se agita algo dentro de nosotros y nos ponemos a jugar con él. Será institnto de conservación de la especie el querer estimular mentalmente a los hijos?

Claude Sandbed said...

marcela: jajaja... i always prided myself on the fact that this has been kept as a PG-13 blog, so I'm not going to answer the last part... and you know that I have answers coming out of my butt...

justo: eso, y no querer que empiecen a llorar...

Marcela said...

(blushing) ...sorry, not meaning to X-rate your blog... just still shocked by the fact I'm having a boy...
and officially the phrase came to my mind when the technician said matter-of-factly "that's what that is for sure" ... and I could not help but think what I previously stated... then I thought, now that is a weird thing to say...

jessica_luna_púrpura said...

eres la mama mas encantadora que conozco, en serio!!!!!!
adoptame!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Claude Sandbed said...

marce: no need to blush... and to mention a penis is more like R-rated... and yes, it is weird, but fun, isn't it?

jessica: mmm, una pregunta: te gustan las barbies??

Denise said...

Lo confieso, a mí me gustaba mucho. Era asquerosamente girly, odiaba que me pusieran pantalones o shorts, siempre escogía vestidos con lazos y de colores pastel...

Sos la super mamá, los juegos son extenuantes, sobre todo porque los chiquitos NUNCA se cansan de jugar, aunque sea 10 veces los mismos juegos reciclados.