Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Just a little upset, but still...

What is a playdate?
A playdate is an opportunity for kids to enjoy themselves, usually in the house or at a park. They get to interact, socialize and play with each other.


That being said, there should be rules:
-A playdate has to be set up before, with both sets of parents agreeing. It is not a playdate if the sister of the boy just drops the kid at your house, unannounced (or as I like to call it "a quemarropa).
-A playdate should not start with the kid himself calling me on the phone, asking permission. I believe that we are the responsible ones, not the kids, especially if they are 6yo.

-A playdate should have a time limit, usually set on the spot. It must be honored as much as possible. “I was drinking wine and having such a good time that I didn’t realize it was that late” is not a good excuse. 9pm is late for kids to be playing in other people’s houses. If you need time for yourself, tell me that; I'll understand. It's a question of sanity, I know. I just don't like knowing I'm being used or lied to.

-A playdate should be reciprocal: Once at my house, once at yours. If my kids don’t go to your house if because they don’t ask to go. That should mean something.

-A playdate should always have the mothers involved in some way. A kid that just knocks your door and wants to come in should not be acceptable. I don’t know if the kid’s mom knows he’s here. I don’t want to freak her out, having her think that he’s lost or something worse.

- A playdate should always start and end with good behavior on all parts. If consecutive warnings don’t work, kids misbehaving should be delivered to their house immediately.

- A playdate should not involved bad language. They get exposed enough at school for me to permit it at my house.

So please, if you are reading this and plan to let your kids go on playdates, be careful. Your actions reflect on how other people see your kids.


sigh.

5 comments:

Liss said...

Oops!! No quisiera ser la mama de esos niños. Pero de que las hay, las hay.

Miryam said...

Jejeje, me recuerda a mi niñez, cuando mi mamá no me dejaba ir a casa de mis amiguitos de la escuela... y tampoco me dejaba que ellos vinieran... en realidad no tuve niñez, asi que no me recuerda nada... bueno, tu entiendes. jejejeje.

Marcela said...

oh my gosh, that the "playmate" from hell... he actually shows up at your house alone??? wow, where's the mother?
so true that there are rules to these playdates, and even when you agree the mom does not need to be there, oh my gosh 9pm???
unfortunately those moms only take the direct approach, but when they do they bitch and complain about it and those are the first ones to be bad-mouthing you...

tough call, I'd say kill them with kindness and just say no...

Claude Sandbed said...

liss: don't be!!!

miryam: lo siento... puedes venir a jugar a mi casa... pero un ratito, eh? y primero avisas...

marcela: actually, i'm talking about several moms... is not just one. I have to learn to say no. Just like my mom taught me. jeje.

εїз maripOsa*sOcial εїз said...

I feel ya sister... been there.
I guess it's the new "thing" not to give a crap about your kids it seems to be happening more and more...
I agree with Marcela. Kill them; oh yeah, with kindness...